7 Things to know before applying for Japan Visa

1. All foreigners must decide one type of the “Status of Residence” Under Japanese law, the system of “Status of Residence” (generally known as Visa) is adopted. Foreign nationals residing in Japan must, as a general rule, hold one of the Status of Residence (Visa) and are allowed to engage in an activity permitted under that Status of Residence (Visa). The purpose of your intended stay will determine which type of Status of Residence is required under Japanese immigration law. >> Click here for more information on List of Status of Residence You are allowed to hold only one type of Status of Residence (Visa), which means you cannot engage Read more about 7 Things to know before applying for Japan Visa[…]

Setting up a company in Japan as an Expat

The most common type of business entity for an expat entrepreneur in Japan would be Kabushiki Kaisha (KK), which is often referred to as corporation, incorporation or joint stock corporation and is the most credible and widely utilized business entity in Japan. This article provides detailed information about basic requirements for expat entrepreneurs, procedure and timeline. Basic Requirements for Expat entrepreneurs Foreigners who wish to register a Kabushiki Kaisha (KK) in Japan, must take into consideration the following basic requirements; Registered Address You must own or rent a physical office space as the registered address of the company for getting “Business Manager” Visa. The immigration would like to check if Read more about Setting up a company in Japan as an Expat[…]

3 Tips for choosing the right immigration lawyer in Japan

We recommend that you find an immigration lawyer if your immigration case is complicated or if you simply do not have time. Here is how to find the right immigration lawyer for your successful stay in Japan. 1. Interview potential immigration lawyers It is recommended to have a consultation with each immigration lawyer who you are considering. Please ask them if they have any experience with your type of case. This can allow you to determine if the immigration lawyer can understand your situation and specialized in your case. Also, make sure there isn’t language and cultural barrier. Please make use of our free consultation. Contact Us 2. Compare Service Read more about 3 Tips for choosing the right immigration lawyer in Japan[…]

How to Invite Foreign Family to Japan

Invite your Spouse or Children You may invite your spouse (legally married husband and wife) and unmarried children to Japan, if you are a holder of the Working Visa or Non-working Visa (except for Diplomat, Official, Technical Intern Training, Temporary Visitor, and Trainee). Procedure Application for Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to obtain “Dependent” Visa For more information, click here “procedure for Certificate of Eligibility (COE)” Minimum requirements for Dependent Visa The Applicant must explain the below requirements with supporting documents; Financial capacity which you can meet living expenses for your spouse and children (Employment letter indicating your salary, pay slips, bank letters indicating account balance etc) Your spouse or children Read more about How to Invite Foreign Family to Japan[…]

Planning to change jobs? Don’t miss necessary procedures

Foreign Nationals must be careful when changing jobs as it may invite a ban and even cancellation of their Visa. Here are points to be considered before switching jobs in Japan; 1. Check your authorized activity under your Visa Family related Visa holders (Permanent Visa, Spouse or Child of Japanese National, Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident, Long-term Resident) can work in any field or industry, so free to change jobs without any Visa related procedures. Working Visa holders, however, need to check their authorized activity to see if the activities in your new workplace will fall under the same Visa category. Click here for Authorized activity under your Visa Read more about Planning to change jobs? Don’t miss necessary procedures[…]

Part time Work Permission for Student and Dependent

“Student” and “Dependent” Visa holders are not allowed to work, but they may apply for Part time Work Permission – “Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted”. When should I apply? Before starting part time work (including a paid internship) What kind of work will be permitted? Any type of work except the work related to the adult entertainment industry (working for night clubs, hostess clubs, pachinko parlors, adult entertainment internet businesses, escort services, telephone based dating services etc) Maximum work hours permitted is 28 hours per week (For “Student” Visa holders, 8 hours per day during school long-term vacation specified Read more about Part time Work Permission for Student and Dependent[…]

Change of Status of Residence (Visa)

If you wish to change the activity specified on your current Visa (Status of Residence) to an activity authorized in another Visa (Status of Residence), you need to apply for “Change of Status of Residence”. Permission for “Change of Status of Residence” will be granted only when the Ministry of Justice finds there are reasonable grounds to allow. Therefore, the applicant must check and meet the requirements for new Visa and confirm in advance whether the change will be accepted or not. In addition, change from “Temporary Visitor” Visa to another type of Visa will be not be accepted unless the Certificate of Eligibility is issued within the validity of Read more about Change of Status of Residence (Visa)[…]

Extension of Period of Stay

If you wish to extend or renew your Visa (Status of Residence), you need to apply for “Extension of Period of Stay” before the date of expiration. Please make sure not to miss your application, as No notice to extend or renew will be sent to you. When to submit? Up until the Visa expiration date. (Application starts 3 months before the Visa expiration date if the period of stay is 6 months or longer.)  *Considering Visa processing time, it is highly recommended to apply well in advance. Where to submit? The regional immigration office (Ministry of Justice, Japan) in charge of the applicant’s address Who can submit? Applicant Legal representative Read more about Extension of Period of Stay[…]

Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

To obtain a new Visa (excluding “Temporary Visitor”) from overseas, you will first need a “Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence (COE)” issued at the Immigration office in Japan before visiting the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your country. Once the COE is issued, you can go to the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your country to get your Visa issued or stamped on your passport, which will take a few days. Please check the details to Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your country.  Where to submit? The regional immigration office (Ministry of Justice, Japan) Who can submit? Applicant visiting Japan with a temporary visa Employee of the Sponsor Read more about Certificate of Eligibility (COE)[…]

List of Status of Residence (Visa)

There are 28 categories (34 types) of Status of Residence (Visa) in Japan, which can be classified into 4 groups; 1. Working Visa (18 categories) Foreigners having one of the Working Visa can engage in the authorized activities below. If you want to engage in an activity other than what is specified on your Visa, you need to obtain permission for other activity from the Immigration office in Japan. Status of Residence (Visa) Authorized activities Business Manager Operating international trade or some other business in Japan, or managing such business. Highly Skilled Professional (a)     Advanced academic research activities (working in research, research guidance or education) (b)    Advanced specialized/technical activities (working Read more about List of Status of Residence (Visa)[…]