To obtain a new Visa (excluding “Temporary Visitor”) from overseas, you will first need a “Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence (COE)” issued at the Immigration office in Japan before visiting the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your country.
Once the COE is issued, you can go to the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your country to get your Visa issued or stamped on your passport, which will take a few days. Please check the details to Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your country.
Where to submit?
Who can submit?
- Applicant visiting Japan with a temporary visa
- Employee of the Sponsor company in Japan
- Relative staying in Japan (For Family related Visa)
- Certified Japanese attorney or Immigration lawyer like us
- Application Form (Ministry of Justice)
- Photo (4cm×3cm)
- A return-mail envelope affixed with stamps worth 392 yen
- Other supporting documents depending on each Status of Residence (Ministry of Justice) *There could be other necessary documents depending on each individual case.
Visa Processing Time
1 – 3 months
Validity of COE
3 months after the date of issue (Applicant must get your Visa at Japanese Embassy or Consulate and enter Japan within 3 months validity period, otherwise the COE will automatically expire.)
Fee for issuance of COE
None (If you appoint a lawyer to Visa application, you need to pay the fee)